Saturday, November 12, 2005

One quarter down

The first quarter of classes has come to an end. Three months of feeling completely lost and frustrated. Searching for some hint of a niche I could fill. Trying to build relationships and wishing it was as easy as building my fires.

At least for now, i feel like I may have some sort of direction. I sat down with each teacher to ask specifically what they hope I can help them with. Part of my frustration was that the training I was given by the Peace Corps was specific to smaller towns with very limited resources. My school is fairly large, has quite a few resources and has very motivated teachers. So while there are a couple newer teachers who could benefit from some of the teaching methodology I was taught, most already know it and use it or don’t, according to their preferences. They all have projects they’re working on -- some related to teaching, some not. And they all have goals they’re working toward -- some related to teaching, some not.

At first, i was frustrated working with the teachers who aren’t interested in being teachers. The ones who only wanted to work with me to improve their English for their own benefit. I felt like they were cheating the students or the Peace Corps or somebody.

The other problem was that some of the teachers who do work hard to improve their teaching skills didn’t seem especially interested in team-teaching with me -- which is supposed to be the main part of my job.

So I sat down with each teacher and asked their goals. I think because they had these goals hidden, it caused a gap in our already disconnected communication. But I have new hope for the second quarter now that they’ve opened up to me. And I’ve changed my understanding of my role here. I’m not just here to help students or teachers, but Mongolians in general. So if some of my teachers only want English language practice, then that’s what I’ll help them with. I won’t expect that every teacher will need or want what I think are important goals.

No comments: