Tuesday, June 14, 2005

I'm a squatter

So, is anyone reading this? I am disappointed that there are no comments. Did anyone look up the ewok thing?
Things are good here in Mongolia. I have tons to tell but will have to be brief for now.

Description of my town:
My town is nestled between large, grassy hills – which seems to be the case for most towns in the northern region. There are no paved roads, and really very little organization to the dirt paths. The occasional car basically creates its own route. Cows, horses, pigs and dogs roam freely through the town. And at night, everyone finds their animals and chases them back to their home. Most of the houses are wooden, with wooden fences surrounding them. It’s dusty, green but without trees, and the sun is blazing.
My family is excellent. Like I said, I live with the governor, his wife and two daughters. They’re always trying to teach me new words, and laughing at me when I stare and them blankly and shrug my shoulders. They feed me double, sometimes triple what everyone else gets. And they always ask if I want more. My host mother is the town yogurt maker. Everyone talks about her yogurt, and all the kids in town come over to buy frozen yogurt from her. Of course, this means that I eat yogurt everyday. Along with every other dairy product imaginable. From milk to butter and every consistency in between. Mmmm dairy, lots of dairy. My host sisters love to play basketball and volleyball. We set the ball in the field behind the house, dodging the cow patties. It’s great. Bathroom facilities? I wouldn’t say I’m roughing it … but it’s rough. We have no running water at my home, so I haven’t showered since the last time I wrote. Though there’s a bath house I think I “m going to go to tonight. I am indeed squatting over a hole in an outhouse to go to the restroom. And, honestly, I haven’t quite gotten the technique down yet.

Stories so you can laugh at me:
Yesterday, my host sister asked me to help peel the potatoes. She handed me a vegetable peeler and she used a knife. She peeled about 12 to my two. Poor, pampered American.

I just had to consult spell check to remember how to spell “technique.” I don’t think the Journal will be inviting me back when I return.

The guard dogs are on a leash during the day, but roam the yard at night. So if I want to go to the restroom in the middle of the night I have to wake my host mother, so she can walk me to the back of the yard while guarding me from the dogs. I did that one night, but last night I just couldn’t bring myself to wake her so I could pee all over the outhouse in the dark. So, I grabbed one of the handy zip-loc bags I brought along. Very sturdy. Now its sitting under my desk, waiting until I can take it out of my room without my host mom realizing what I did. That’s right ….. laugh it up.

Final note:
I should be able to update more next week. We head to the capital and stay for a few days. So I should get a cell phone, as well as possibly uploading pictures. Also, for anyone thinking of taking a trip out here, I hear that I may be able to get tickets for between $800 and $1000. So let me know if you’re really planning on coming out, and when, and I’ll start looking for that info.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least one of your copy desk friends is reading.

Anonymous said...

Jenny , I am not a blogger, so I hope this gets. through. Yes, someone is reading your postings and enjoying them. I tried to comment last week, but it would not go through. I read about you in the Middletown Journal and decied to follow you. I have read all of your entries and am looking forward to many more. Good Luck in everything and watch your be-hind in the outhouse!

Lynda

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenny,

It sounds like you are in paradise. I am very happy to hear from you. I bet you miss the trees and paved roads of our civilization. Well I hope your family treats you right.

After eating all that dairy you might come back weighing more than me, just kidding. Well I hope you are having fun and doing well.

Good luck in lesser china.

late

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenny!

Becky just passed along your blogger.com website address. Someone said it earlier, but they're right — Zip Loc needs to run a commercial about your ... um... unique uses of their products!!

Take care, and don't forget your buddies here at the MoJo.

All the best,

John

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Jen! I laughed until I cried over your bathroom antics! You'll have to be sure to go potty before you go to bed!