Saturday, June 18, 2005

M-16s everywhere

I thought I’d give you a description of my Peace Corps group. We’re the 16th group to Mongolia -- hence M-16s. There are currently 53 of us scattered across the northern-central region. There were 54 in L.A. for staging. One girl decided she didn’t want to go any farther. So 53 of us made the trek to Mongolia. We picked up a volunteer evacuated from Uzbekistan, and then we were 54. But we had our first ET (early termination) Wednesday.
There are three from Ohio and two others (that I know of) that went to school in Ohio. In my training group, which numbers 6, there is a guy from Dayton and a girl who went to Kenyon College. I think only California, Indiana and Washington have larger representations. For some reason there’s a huge group from Seattle.
It’s a pretty diverse group in some respects. In other ways, not so much. There are four married couples. I think only one person is over 40. Maybe about five over 30. The rest are in their 20s. The majority have either just graduated or worked a year or two before leaving. Most of us are TEFL teachers, teaching English as a second language. There are a few in youth development, community economic development and health education. There are people with all kinds of backgrounds. From a former Marine to a film student, a Korean man to a woman born in Ukraine, Guns N Roses fans to 50 Cent fans. I’m not sure how many Bush fans are among us. But I’m sure there are a couple ... maybe.

No comments: